Published: March 2015
Persian in Use is an elementary Persian language and culture textbook designed for first-year Persian language students at college level. It offers a thematically organized and integrative approach to help students achieve proficiency in Persian language and culture.
- Colorful and lively design with over 200 illustrations and images and over 1200 words and phrases including high-frequency idioms, slang, and proverbs
- New vocabulary is summarized thematically/lexically to help students engage in the accompanying communicative activities
- Interactive dialogues from everyday life in both spoken and written forms introduce students to contemporary usage
- Straightforward explanations of the grammatical features
- Includes samples of literary texts, poems, plays, film scripts, and pop songs
- Engaging classroom activities and homework exercises with the integration of all four skills
- Companion website with audio files and authentic video clips from Iran
- Corresponds to two semesters/three quarters of elementary college-level study as recommended by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
Anousha Sedighi is Professor of Persian and Persian Program Head at Portland State University. She has been teaching Persian for more than a decade and she served as the President of the American Association of Teachers of Persian during 2014–16.
“With a steady stream of relevant dialogues, a series of pithy passages of reading material, glimpses of Persian culture and literature, and plenty of engaging exercises, all creatively conceptualized and methodically presented, Persian in Use is bound to find a prominent place in the increasingly professionalized field of Persian language pedagogy.” – Dr. Ahmad Karimi-Hakkak, Professor of Persian Language, Literature, and Culture, University of Maryland
“To be forthright, teaching Persian as a second language is still far from an established field. Sedighi’s Persian in Use with its fresh approach, tasteful design, and engaging methodology is a welcome publication in response to this perpetual need. The book indeed is designed to improve students’ language and cultural fluency, delightfully and systematically.” – Dr. Kamran Talattof, Professor of Near Eastern Studies, University of Arizona
Companion website www.persianinuse.com